Everyone wants to stay young. With so many beauty products available in the market these days, many of which come quite costly, the one that most people love using and which makes a difference to not just how your skin looks, but how you feel, is the magic of Gua Sha. Even though the Gua Sha face tool has recently gone mainstream, it is a 20th century-old Chinese technique that has been proven to relieve facial muscle tension, enhance skin elasticity, reduce puffiness, wrinkles and fine lines and eliminate toxin build up under the skin. Gua Sha tool was designed to improve the general well-being of your body, improve the microcirculation of the facial blood vessels, and increase the flow of blood, lymph and body fluids. You may have already spotted your favourite celebrities and YouTube influencers using the famous Gua Sha tool in their daily skincare routines. And if you too are looking to know more about the Gua Sha trend before hopping onto it, then read on!
What Is A Gua Sha?
A Gua Sha is a flat facial tool, made of semi-precious stone, that is used to massage the face. This revolutionary face scraping technique is based on a traditional Chinese healing practice known as Gua Sha. Gua means to stroke or press, and Sha implies redness. It is believed that the redness that is obtained through scraping encourages blood circulation and leads the skin to heal itself.
What Are The Benefits Of A Gua Sha?
Regular and proper use of a Gua Sha can lead to the following beauty benefits:
1. Lymphatic Drainage
A slow lymph system can result in puffiness, swollen skin, fatigue, acne, and other skin-related problems. Since lymph circulation is only possible through muscle movement or massage, using a Gua Sha is a great way to enhance it. An improved blood circulation further results in lesser dark circles and a youthful glow.
2. Fights Acne Scars
Gua Sha stimulates fresh blood to the surface of the skin which helps in renewing the skin cells, thereby reducing the visibility of acne scars. The stone is extensively used to prevent and clear acne, decongesting the skin and lessening inflammation.
3. Reduces Puffiness
Since Gua Sha is touted to remove lymph and other unwanted fluids from your face, your skin tightens and becomes more chiselled. The sweeping directional movements of the tool, combined with the pressure used as the tool is pressed against the skin, helps improve lymphatic drainage, reducing puffy skin and under-eye bags in the process.
4. Softens Wrinkles and Fine Lines
Gua Sha provides relief to your stiff facial muscles and tissues, and in the process smoothens out any early signs of ageing. Regularly massaging Gua Sha on your face in the correct manner has been known to lead to a defined jawline and cheekbones. Your face will begin to look naturally contoured with the passage of time.
How To Use Gua Sha?
Before you start, wash your Gua Sha tool properly with cold water and soap to ensure that it is clean. Wipe It gently after washing. If you want, you can even leave it in the refrigerator for a few hours for an additional cool and soothing effect on your skin.
1. Cleanse your face and apply a light serum, face oil or moisturiser of your choice. Your skin should feel slippery with some moisturizing product to prevent the gua sha from causing any irritation or inflammation.
2. Hold your face sculpting tool firmly. The curved part should be in close contact with the curves of your skin and the flat part should rest on your skin.
3. To begin, use the wider concave side of your tool. Start at the base of your well-moisturized neck, pulling it up, towards your jaw. Repeat this a few times and then move to the front of your neck, making the same upward movement. Do not put too much pressure here, or else you will start choking and coughing.
4. Next, with the smaller cleft in your gua sha, start scraping from the center of your chin. Gently scrape it along your jawline, going leading towards the bottom of your ears. Repeat this a few times and follow the same movement on the other side of the face.
5. Take the flatter curve of your tool and scrape from the center of your face towards the ears to massage your cheeks. You will have to do this multiple times to fully cover the area.
6. Then, use the small rounded end of your tool to massage the area under your eyes, gently pulling it towards your temples.
7. Make sure you properly massage all the areas of your face.
Gua Sha also helps promote blood circulation to the face for a natural healthy glow and makes beauty products like face creams and serums to easily penetrate deeper into the skin for better absorption. Start using it today, and feel the difference!