In a world where perfection is a work in progress ruled by beauty norms of the kingdom of social media, aesthetic trends come and go. Some arrive onto the scene and stick for a while and others simply dissolve overnight on our Instagram feed. But then there are also some beauty trends that have its origin rooted at a certain time but surface and resurface as evolved cultural practice within the beauty realm. Lip fillers have successfully occupied that spot of being a change in tide and dimension in the beauty space. Some get lip fillers to feel confident in their skin that may once have not been the source of inspiration or a means to travel back in time to look and feel as fabulous as they once did among many more. Whatever may be your source of unhinged motivation, lip fillers today is a well-established form of cosmetic procedures around. But hey, don't be fooled into believing this is an easy-breezy one. Hence we have given the tough responsibility of giving this procedure's facts and fiction to the experts. Dr Neha Sharma, Founder, Estique Clinic, Gurugram and Dr Shilpi Bhadani, Founder, SB Aesthetics, Gurugram let us in on the everything you need to know about getting lip fillers, potential risks and so on.
But first, let's start with the basics:
What Are Lip Fillers?
Lip fillers are one of the most popular noninvasive treatments used to give your lips a makeover using injections filled with hyaluronic acid fillers or biostimulators, the former being more popular, on certain spots of the lips. It is popular for many reasons; it doesn't involve a surgery and hence costs lesser in comparison. Another reason is how it allows the patient to customise with specific needs, be it lip contouring or balancing proportion or simply to add volume.
What Happens During A Lip Filler Procedure?
Dr Neha Sharma gives us all we need to know about the process. "During the procedure we first apply a numbing cream on the lips for about 30 mins to minimise the prick sensation. After that the doctor will use a thin needle to inject the filler either into a particular area or the entire lip depending on the patient's concerns after having discussed it thoroughly"
What Happens After A Lip Filler Procedure?
The procedure seemed easy right? But that isn't it. "After the procedure the lip filler the doctor will massage the lips to evenly distribute filler and will also apply ice to the lips. After the filler your lips may be swollen, sensitive or bruised. Swelling goes away 24-48 hours after the procedure. A follow up appointment is scheduled after 2 weeks to monitor the lips and if any touch ups are required. One should avoid wearing lipstick, lip balm or used any other product for next 24 hours. Refrain from touching, puckering, plucking tissue kissing and sipping from a straw for next 24 hours," says Dr Neha Sharma.
Are Lip Fillers Safe?
Dr Shilpi Bhadani gives us all the scoop on why getting a lip filler is safe and comes with its share of advantages too. "With today's medical advancements, dermal fillers are a very easy available and an affordable option to give the lips a desired shape and volume. In the hands of an expert plastic surgeon the procedure is quite safe when adhered to correct precautions and gives almost immediate results without much downtime. The procedure is relatively painless as it is a nonsurgical procedure and can be easily available. Not only does it require less time to perform the procedure but also minimum time to see results. It gives definition the lips with shape and volume with natural looking results or as desired because it is totally customaisable. And since you have the power to customize, it is also reversible if the desired results are not met."
But Are Lip Fillers All That Good?
Lip fillers seem too good to be true but it does in fact with its fair share of risks and Dr Shilpi lists out a few of them:
1. Bleeding/bruising at site of injection
2. Allergic reaction in some individuals
3. Reactivation of cold sores
4. Prolonged and excessive swelling
5. In untrained hands there may be asymmetry of lips, bumps or lumps
6. If not done using sanitised equipment and antiseptic protection, there may be risk of infection, ulceration and scarring
7. In few extreme cases if injected into blood vessel it may cause stoppage of blood flow and tissue loss of the supplied area
8. Lip fillers provide temporary results which need regular touch up for maintenance
9. Subsequently, there is a cost of maintenance at each regular interval which
Also Read: 5 Tricks And Tips To Get Fuller Lips
So Who Should Get Lip Fillers Done?
Simply put, anyone and everyone can get lip fillers. But like everything, getting lip fillers are a two-way street between your plastic surgeon and you who understand your expectations and delivers with clear cut results - although we hope your results aren't literally clear cut! Once an understanding is met between the two keeping in mind other health history, it's only a matter of getting the procedure done no what your requirement so you can leave the clinic with fabulous puckered lips and a new and improved high self-esteem.
You Have Decided To Get The Lip Filler. What Next?
So you have finally decided to give your pair of puckered lips the makeover it deserves. How do you go forward with this decision, whom do you consult, what must you do before the procedure; Dr Shilpi Bhadwani tells us all.
1. Once the decision is made to get a lip filler it is vital that a healthcare professional with legitimate credentials (eg: MCh Plastic Surgery) is sought for the procedure and see that the setup is well equipped to handle any emergency.
2. A consult is mandatory to assess the need and requirement and set reasonable expectations.
3. One should not hesitate to ask any question related to the procedure and understand all benefits, risks and limitations.
4. One should always share full and proper medical history with the doctor. Any history of ongoing medications like blood thinners, anti-diabetics et al along with allergies should be shared clearly.
5. It is often helpful if one can get a look at before after reference images of previous cases so as to get an idea.
6. One should understand how the procedure is going to be conducted and how much time is to be given to avoid any last minute anxiety or time crunch.
It is advisable to clear all doubts regarding treatment cost beforehand to avoid any surprises at the end.
7. One must read and properly understand the consent form before signing.
8. Although the procedure is almost painless some discomfort is expected and ice application with a single dose of analgesic may be advised by your doctor to ease the symptoms if any.
9. Post procedure care is to be followed as advised and follow-up visits should not be neglected.
10. Exercise, application of makeup is to be avoided for following day so procedure should be scheduled accordingly.
11. In case the result is not as per liking, a separate procedure may be planned to dissolve the injected dermal filler.
12. In case of any side effect one must trust the doctor and understand that he/she will see that your issues are resolved at the soonest.
How To Gear Up For The Big Day?
Every doctor has their own rules, but the basic no-no's apply to every cosmetic surgeon especially the 48 hours window prior to the procedure. No smoking, drinking alcohol, consuming blood thinners and dietary supplements or any other consumption habit that may decrease the healing process or cause harm to the body post-procedure which should be discussed well in advance. Many doctors believe that most side effects are preventable if they adhere to pre-op conditions.
Getting lip fillers is a personal choice and a welcome one. With the right help and under legitimate medical practitioners' guidance, we know that your will only smile will wide with your beautiful new lips.