With the rising number of coronavirus cases all over the world, it has created a stressful situation for all. Pregnant women are more worried as they have no idea what is to come regarding this virus pandemic. In this nerve-wrecking situation, pregnant ladies should keep themselves in complete isolation. Social distancing is the one and only solution which is known effective to keep the baby and mother safe from this deadly virus. Till date, there has been no positive signs of transmission of the virus in the amniotic fluid, cord blood, the placenta and breast milk which can harm the baby. But it is always better to take precautions rather than feel guilty later.
One should not create fearful environment and take decisions wisely. In this crucial time, pregnant women should visit a gynaecologist as soon as the pregnancy is confirmed. Below are the tests which need to be done timely for a smooth pregnancy.
Here are the tests you should go through if you are pregnant. Have a look:
During first trimester, about 11-13 weeks, few antenatal tests are required:
1. Level 1 scan/ Nuchal Scan
2. Double marker Test
During 18-20 weeks, the following tests are important:
1. Level 2 Ultrasound
2. Quadraple Marker
6. URINE Routine
7. Injection Influvac
8. Injection Tetanus
In 26-28 weeks, Boostrix Injection is necessary and around 28 weeks fetal growth scan and doppler is a must.
When you reach 32 weeks of your pregnancy, you will start feeling fetal movements. Do keep a check on the movements and count, it should be around 5 fetal movements after each meal.
Visit your gynaecologist for a routine checkup in about 34-36 weeks time. Next visit should be in 39 weeks or when in labour.
Do keep a check for signs of labour and call your doctor immediately:
3. Rhythmic tightening of abdominal wall and pressure in lower back
The above mentioned tests are a must for every pregnant women especially in these testing times, so that their doctor can take timely action if any complication arises. Mothers who have conceived during the current Covid-19 scenario should take few extra measures to keep herself and the baby safe from this virus. Below are some tips which need to be followed religiously to avoid the virus:
1. Pregnant women should avoid unnecessary human contact and stay away from crowded places and social gatherings.
2. One should wash their hands regularly for at least 20 seconds and wear a mask while communicating with a person outside their home.
3. Have a balanced diet which includes green leafy vegetables, dry fruits, nuts, herbal teas, food rich in omega 3, iron and zinc. Try and stay hydrated throughout.
4. Pregnant women should try and stay indoor and cancel all their plans of travelling.
5. If you feel any symptoms like cold, dry cough or fever consult your physician or gynaecologist immediately to ensure necessary steps are taken for a healthy pregnancy.
6. If you are showing any symptoms at the time of delivery, then the mother and baby should be kept apart in isolation for at least 14 days to avoid any possibilities of transmission.
7. If you are planning to have a baby in the current scenario, then you should definitely drop it till the severity of this virus gets in control.
Till the time further research is being carried out for a proper medication and vaccination to kill this virus, it is important we should take self precautionary measure to keep ourselves safe. Hand wash after regular intervals, avoiding social gatherings or interactions, staying at home is the most intelligent and healthy way to avoid coming in contact with the virus during pregnancy.
About the author: Dr. Aruna Kalra is the director of gynaecologist & obstetrician department at CK Birla Hospital. Dr. Aruna brings 22 years of experience in her field of practice. Her expertise lies in minimally invasive gynaecological surgeries, high-risk pregnancies, vaginal birth after caesarean (VBAC) and Scarless Laproscopic Surgery.
Disclaimer: The opinions expressed within this article are the personal opinions of the author. NDTV is not responsible for the accuracy, completeness, suitability, or validity of any information on this article. All information is provided on an as-is basis. The information, facts or opinions appearing in the article do not reflect the views of NDTV and NDTV does not assume any responsibility or liability for the same.
Kareena Kapoor On The Food She Can't Do Without And Staying Fit While Pregnant
Flipkart Big Billion Days 2020: Best Deals On Baby Care; From Diapers To Prams At Up To 60% Off
Kareena Kapoor's Pretty Maternity Update Includes Her Pregnancy Glow And A Checked Kaftan
Anushka Sharma Sets Mom-To-Be Goals In A Black Swimsuit With Her Baby Bump On Display