With deep roots in Indian culture, yoga dates back centuries to the times of the Rig Veda. Forming one of the cornerstones of ancient Indian civilization, yoga has evolved greatly since then. Today it finds itself practiced in trendy yoga studios across the world and has a loyal fan following in celebrities. Malaika Arora is one of the many. The Bollywood personality is best known for her fashion statements and fitness inspiration; not necessarily in that order. In fact, Malaika is such a devotee of yoga that she started her own line of yoga studios called Diva Yoga. Pre-lockdown days, she has made many a fitness fashion appearance when she stepped out in her workout gear to exercise.
In the run up to yoga day on June 21, Malaika is using her platform to educate her fans about yoga poses and how to do them at home. Starting off her series is the Halasana yoga poses which she says will "calm your sympathetic nervous system and flush out toxins from your body and your mind." Also called plough pose, it stretches the spine, increases flexibility and stimulates the immune system.
Here are Malaika Arora's instructions on how to do the Halasana yoga pose:
1. Lie on your back with your palms facing the groundADVERTISEMENT
2. Take a deep breath in and with that exhale, press your palms into the floor and raise your legs towards the ceiling
3. For added support you can place your hands on your lower backADVERTISEMENT
4. You can also bend your knees if you're losing balance
5. Slowly and gradually, try touching your feet to the ground behindADVERTISEMENT
6. Breathe slowly. To come out of the pose, release your hands from your back and bring your feet flat on the ground.
For the next day of the series, she picked the Sarvangasana yoga pose. Also called the supported shoulder stand, it is said to reduce thyroid problems, treat hypertension, relieves pain of varicose veins and even prevent hair fall.
Here are Malaika Arora's instructions on how to do the Sarvangasana yoga pose:
1. Lie down with your back on the floor and palms close to your body
2. Lift your legs and bring them close to your heart
3. Lift your lower body slowly and place your hands on your lower back, keeping your elbows close to the torso
4. Slowly lift your legs up, forming a straight line with your forearm
5. Breathe normally without any pressure on your neck
6. To come out of the pose, fold your knees, bring your legs close to the chest and slowly release your hands
Take inspiration from the fitness queen herself and get started.Comments